Monday, December 10, 2012

Photo Manipulation




Photo Manipulation is a big part of the modern day graphic designer's job. It is not limited to fixing the exposure of a photo, but sometimes involves erasing people, changing backgrounds and creating new images altogether. I will go over the history of photo manipulation in a later post (it's pretty interesting, trust me), but for now please see below (or click "read on") for some examples of photo manipulation that I have done for my clients . . .


NO PEOPLE FILTER

BEFORE: I needed a photo of the Edinburgh Castle without anything in front of it.  I had one from an old trip to Edinburgh Scotland, but it had too many tourists flocking toward it. That made it unusable. . .



AFTER: . . . or did it ?!? After many hours of clone stamping, I got rid of those pesky tourists. Some proper Scottish flags and voluptuous clouds were later added to make one epic photo of the castle.



A MATCH MADE IN PHOTOSHOP

BEFORE: I needed a photo of a senior couple going over their finances but there were problems with the photos below. The woman on the left was closing her eyes and the photo of the man on the right was already used one of the company's flyers, which depicted him dressed as a doctor. 


AFTER: The only option left was to merge the two photos, creating an image the company could use. Also, we thought she looked better in pink. 



WHITE WALLS

BEFORE: I had to use this photo of a prescription pill meeting but the walls were just so boring . . .




AFTER: Putting in this background with a window helps to break things up a bit.




SAME PROBLEM, DIFFERENT SOLUTION

BEFORE: Sometimes clients need a specific photo that just doesn't exist and they don't have the budget to create the scenes that they need in a photo studio. That is where graphic designers really have some fun. I used the photos below to create the dual scenes needed for the "Same Danger, Different Place" campaign.


AFTER: I used a few more photos than I posted in the medicine cabinet but you get the idea. The bathroom can be a very dangerous place . . .


Those were just a few examples of how photo manipulation can be used to create the exact image that you need, either for your business or your own personal projects. Please feel free to let me know what you think and happy designing!








3 comments:

Johnson said...

Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master. Thanks for this Graphic Design Edinburgh

Jonathan Dow said...

Hi Matt! This is Ashley. Your blog is AWESOME! I was super fascinated by the way you created one big picture using all sorts of other images. I won't look at posters and advertisements the same way again. I hope you post more. Oh, and the castle is pretty stellar, though I did spy someone saying hi. :)

Jonathan Dow said...

these look amazing... YOu should sell prints of the castle